I spent most of my adult life trying to lose an extra 20 to 40 pounds depending on the year by cutting calories, eating low-fat foods, and running. I also struggled with an auto-immune disease for more than 15 years, and the toll of the disease and the medications were more than I could handle. I saw results with every diet I tried (and I tried hundreds), but none of them worked for the long term.
I wanted a long-term solution for my weight and my health because as I got older weight became secondary to physical complaints like exhaustion, hair loss, joint pain, sleeplessness, mood swings, and all sorts of skin issues.
There are many ways to achieve health. I’ll talk about them all here, but the most effective way to achieve optimum health is by being hospitable to yourself. It was a long journey for me to become kind to my mind, soul, and body. I went to counseling, I read books, I journaled, and I educated myself in scientifically-based nutrition.
As part of that journey, I returned to school to get the best nutrition information available so I could to heal myself and others with diet.
I am a graduate of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition where I learned innovative coaching methods, practical lifestyle management techniques, and researched hundreds of dietary theories including gluten-free, low-carb, ketogenic, Ayurveda, Paleo, raw, vegan, macrobiotics, and many more.
I studied with the world’s top health and wellness experts including:
- Joshua Rosenthal, founder and director of the Institute for Integrative Nutrition
- Deepak Chopra, MD leader in the field of mind-body medicine
- David Katz, MD, MPH, director of Yale University’s Prevention Research Center
- Walter Willett, MD, DrPH, chair of nutrition at Harvard University
- Andrew Weil, MD, director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine
- Gabrielle Bernstein, bestselling author and life coach
- Susan Blum, MD, MPH, assistant clinical professor at Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Mark Hyman, MD, founder of The UltraWellness Center
- Geneen Roth, bestselling author and expert on emotional eating
- David Wolfe, raw food leader and nutrition expert
- Marion Nestle, PhD, MPH, professor at New York University’s Department of Nutrition, Food Studies, and Public Health
- Mark Bittman, food writer for The New York Times and bestselling author
- Joel Fuhrman, MD, family physician and leading expert on nutritional healing