One of the easiest, cheapest, and quickest ways to notice a difference in the flavor of your food is to buy better ingredients.
Y’all. I had never had tacos at home that weren’t seasoned with one of those yellow envelopes of “taco seasoning.” Ever.
Then I read the ingredients, and most of what was in the spice package wasn’t spices at all. It was a long list of preservatives, artificial flavors, and fillers- corn flour mostly.
Now I make my own. And we use it on all sorts of things. Take the recipe. Go to a spice store and buy fresh spices (yes there is a HUGE difference in flavor). Make a batch of this and put it in a Mason jar.
- 5 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper to taste (I use about 2 teaspoons in ours)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Mix it all in a bowl and pour into a air-tight storage container.