Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can’t Lose. Peaches Forever. If you’re going to play in the big leagues (hello southern potlucks), you’d better have a special recipe on the ready. This one is for when they tell you to “just bring a salad.”
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup bourbon (use a kitchen bourbon, NOT the good stuff)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (I just throw in a pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (again, just throw a little in)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup avocado oil (olive oil works fine too)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup roughly chopped praline pecans
- 1/4 cup goat cheese (optional)
- 5 oz. arugula
- 5 oz. spinach
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 3–4 peaches, cut into large chunks (slices if you’re really going for a fancy look)
- 1/2 cup blueberries
For the Bourbon Vinaigrette
- Place diced shallot and apple cider vinegar in a high-speed blender or small food processor. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes. This mellows the shallots.
- Add bourbon, maple syrup, dijon, salt, and pepper.
- While the blender is running, slowly pour in the oil until it is all incorporated.
- YOU WILL HAVE EXTRA
For the Salad:
- Chop the arugula and spinach. (A lot of people are turned off by leaves and stems. I find a rough chop takes care of this and also makes it easier to load your fork. But if you don’t feel like chopping, then don’t)
- Toss with the cabbage and onions.
- Add peaches and blueberries reserving just a few of each to use on top.
- Add pecans
- Sprinkle goat cheese. It will meld with the dressing and make it creamy and just over the top
- We’ve substituted cherries, blackberries, plums, apples, apricots, and every berry you could imagine for the peaches and blueberries. You really can’t go wrong. In the fall try apples and dried cranberries. Dog Days of Summer – blackberries will work instead of blueberries.
- You’ll have a lot of dressing. The salad holds up well for a couple of days if it isn’t dressed, so I make a big batch of both and we eat it all week.
- The goat cheese is optional, but it will take the salad to the next level.
Keywords: bourbon, arugula, peaches, blueberries, vinaigrette, salad, potluck