Nothing says Fall like a big bowl of chili and a good football game. The ingredients list looks long, but most things are pantry staples. This recipe can be thrown together in less than 10 minutes and on the table in 20. It’s also perfect for putting in a slow-cooker for a lazy day.
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground sausage (hot or mild- your choice)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 7–8 cloves garlic, minced (this is a place you can go with more or less than the recipe)
- 1 28 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 14 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes and green peppers
- 2–4 14 ounce cans of beans (or none at all- when I use beans, I use hot chili beans and black beans)
- 4 tablespoons hot chili powder (use mild if you don’t want the spice)
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 12 ounce dark beer (you can use chicken or beef broth if you don’t want to use beer)
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1–3 Tablespoons adobo sauce (to taste- it’s smoky and adds heat)
- 1–3 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped (to taste- it’s smoky and also adds heat)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the meat with the onions and garlic. Drain the fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for at least an hour, but if you’ve got time, let it simmer long, low, and slow.
- Top as you please.
- Nutrition information is calculated WITHOUT beans.
- This recipe is easily adapted for a slow-cooker. Brown the meat and onions first, then add meat and all other ingredients to the slow-cooker. Cook on low for 1-2 hours. Then keep on warm until you are ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 15
- Calories: 391
- Fat: 22
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Protein: 28
Keywords: chili, low-carb, fall recipe, tailgate recipe